Apply for Housing
Apply for Housing from Habitat for Humanity for Northern Santa Barbara County
Habitat for Humanity for Northern Santa Barbara County (46K PDF)
NOTE: You must have Adobe Acrobat reader in order to view, download, or print this document. If you don\'t have Adobe Acrobat Reader:
Download a free copy of the latest version here.
For more information about how families are selected please read the following information:
Family Selection Criteria Summary
Need for adequate shelter
- Current shelter is inadequate due to physical condition.
- Current shelter has inadequate number of rooms for family members (ages, sexes).
- Family is unable to obtain home loan through other means.
- Family income is no more than 50%, and no less than 25%, of median income for Santa Barbara County
Ability to pay for Habitat home
Cash down payment and closing costs of 0.5% of anticipated loan amount is required.
- Satisfactory credit history and references.
- Household income must not be adversely affected by home ownership.
- Must be a resident of Northern Santa Barbara County.
The price of your new home will be the lesser of, the cost of construction or the current published price for low income housing in the county of Santa Barbara.
Willingness to Partner with Habitat
You will be asked to help build your own home with 500 hours of "sweat equity" before closing and occupancy can occur. For a married couple, the full 500 hours are required, for a single parent, 250 hours are required. One half of this time can result from the volunteer work of other family members and friends.
There are significant resale restrictions. These restrictions can vary as they are based on funding available at the time of construction.
Participation in the Habitat partnership program means that your mortgage will be free of any interest expense